It wasn’t all bad news for LSU on Friday.
Three days after 2011 signee Mickey Johnson was told that he
would not be able to enroll at LSU this fall as a result of academic issues
related to the NCAA Clearinghouse, the NCAA sent Johnson the news he had been
waiting on all summer.
“(Thursday) I found out that they approved my summer school
class, so all they had to do was sign off on it (Friday),” Johnson said. “(LSU
assistant athletic director for football operations) coach (Sam) Nader called
me after that and said I was good to go.
“I’m extremely excited. It’s finally official. I’m cleared.”
Over the summer, Johnson retook a course at St. Paul’s and
enrolled in a credit recovery program in hopes of becoming cleared before fall
“We sent over 500 pages of documents stating what we had
done, and from there it was in the NCAA’s hands,” Johnson said.
With the green flag, Johnson will head to Baton Rouge and
enroll in school immediately.
“I am just ready to get over there and schedule some
classes,” he said. “I am going to have to be there (Friday) afternoon. I’m
supposed to start setting things up about 1:30 (p.m.).”
Johnson, a four-star prospect and the No. 19-ranked
defensive tackle according to Scout.com, joins Anthony Johnson, Quentin Thomas
and Jermauria Rasco as the defensive line additions in the 2011 class.
Johnson said he plans to join the team immediately.